Greenspring Associates is one of the largest venture capital investment firms in the world, currently managing over $12 billion in assets across fund, direct and secondary investment strategies. The Firm has over 100 employees with offices in Baltimore, Maryland, Palo Alto, California, London, England and Beijing, China.
Greenspring Associates was founded in 2000 and has been actively investing in venture capital partnerships, expansion stage venture/growth equity direct investments and secondary market positions through its fund vehicles.
We are currently looking for a General Counsel to join our growing team. This position will work with our current Legal Team reporting to our Chief Operating Officer.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to senior management on all regulatory and compliance matters to ensure legal compliance and to detect and mitigate risk.
- Oversee the legal aspects of all transactional investment activities of the firm, including fund formation, investments into companies and funds, side letters, secondary transactions, monitoring of existing investments, and the sale of investments. This may include working independently on smaller transactions and coordination with outside counsel on larger transactions.
- Maintain data, knowledge and the integrity of Greenspring’s operations and legal documents.
- Liaise with local counsel internationally to register the funds or otherwise comply with local laws and regulations to support Greenspring's marketing and fund raising activities around the world.
- Provide guidance with respect to a variety of corporate governance issues.
- Assist the entire Greenspring team with a variety of questions that come up daily with respect to Greenspring's legacy investments and operations.
- Work closely with the Greenspring finance team on a variety of compliance and regulatory matters arising from Greenspring’s status as a registered investment advisor regulated by the SEC.
- Review all of Greenspring's marketing materials for regulatory compliance.
- Coordinate with Greenspring's IT director to assure compliance with SEC mandated data security policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with Greenspring's HR officer and outside labor counsel with respect to a variety of employment and personnel practices and issues on an ongoing basis.
- Provide legal advice and support with respect to certain personal investment activities of the Greenspring partners.
- Candidate should have excellent academic credentials, top-tier law firm experience, preferably at the partner level, and strong analytical skills.
- Substantial experience in structuring, negotiating, and documenting a variety of transactions, including fund formation, venture capital investments into funds and companies, secondary transactions, and dispositions of investments in funds and companies.
- Entrepreneurial and hands-on with a strong work ethic ready to rollup his/her sleeves. Ability to multitask and prioritize a dynamic workload in a challenging fast-paced environment with a diverse team.
- Ability to provide expert, succinct, focused advice to the senior management team.
- Must be a critical thinker and organized with a strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and possess an all-encompassing passion for the importance of the venture capital ecosystem.
- Have a practical, common sense approach to problem solving.
Greenspring Associates salaries and benefits are among the best in the business. They include:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental & Vision, FSA, STD/LTD, Life Insurance & EAP)
- 401K with 100% company match
- 20 Personal Time Off Days
- Company paid Mental Health Wellness Program
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- Free Parking
- Gym membership and cell phone/internet reimbursement
Greenspring Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Don’t see a job that is right for you? Please e-mail Robyn Schuerholz and tell us why you would be a great addition to our team.