Financial Assistant Controller
Greenspring Associates, a venture capital platform with $13B under management, invests in established and emerging venture capital fund managers, in expansion stage venture-backed companies and in secondary investments in venture capital funds and companies. Originally founded in 2000, the Firm now has over 140 employees with offices in Baltimore, Palo Alto, Palm Beach, Beijing & London. Greenspring has recently announced that we have entered into an agreement to be acquired by StepStone Group, we anticipate closure of this transaction in 2021.
We are currently offering an Assistant Controller position in our Greenspring Back Office Solutions (“GBOS”) department. The Assistant Controller works with other team members to lead the capital activity, financial reporting, and administration functions for our clients. This position will report to the Finance VP.
- Job Description/Responsibilities:
- Prepare and review financial statements/quarterly reporting packages for the funds, including portfolio investment schedules, partner equity allocations, and analyzing complex investment transactions, ensuring compliance with GAAP and the respective partnership agreements.
- Prepare and review calculations of and track capital call and distribution activity, ensuring the waterfall is in compliance with the partnership’s agreements.
- Prepare and review fund management fee schedules.
- Gather and assess investment deal documents; ensure documents are complete and current. Periodically reach out to portfolio companies to request financial updates and cap tables; ensure data is complete and current.
- Respond to questions from General and Limited Partners.
- Supervise and review work performed by junior members of the team.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual audit & tax processes. Manage from planning to delivery of audit report & K-1s.
- Oversee payment of vendor invoices and other wire payments.
- Oversee maintenance of investor information in third party software systems.
- Special projects related to the above responsibilities.
- Extremely detail-oriented. High standard for accuracy.
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Flexible: able to adapt quickly in a dynamic environment where requirements can change with little notice.
- Proactive: self-starter with positive, can-do attitudes, desire to learn, and willingness to take ownership of projects.
- Fast-paced: enjoys working in a dynamic/high volume environment, able to multi-task, having a sense of urgency.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance. CPA preferred. Big-4 experience with either audit or taxation in Venture Capital practice preferred.
- Required Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or related business degree; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as an Assistant Controller or similar role in a hands-on capacity
- High level of demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel and financial modeling
- Experience with partnership accounting either at a PE firm or VC firm or at a company that provides outsourced accounting for such investment companies
- Public accounting experience a plus
Greenspring Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.