DBA / Data Manager
Greenspring Associates is one of the largest venture capital investment firms in the world, currently managing over $12 billion in assets across fund, direct and secondary investment strategies. The Firm has over 100 employees with offices in Baltimore, Maryland, Palo Alto, California, London, England and Beijing, China.
Greenspring Associates was founded in 2000 and has been actively investing in venture capital partnerships, expansion stage venture/growth equity direct investments and secondary market positions through its fund vehicles.
As the Data Manager you will own overall management as we build the foundational components of our expanded data management system. You will work across the firm and with our technology team to define the project strategy, developing the architecture, identifying project requirements, collaborate with project manager and vendors on implementation, take the project firm wide for adoption, and establish a system that is dependable, reliable and can be operated at scale. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the team in building leading industry data and research while iterating on solutions to deliver better outcomes for the firm.
We expect you to be a strategic thinker with an eye on the details. You will engage deeply across the Firm and with clients and partners to identify market opportunities and break complex problems down into actionable efforts. This role will support the critical bridge between our data and its delivery and ROI to our business, you will touch nearly every part of the organization – from our Investments and Finance teams to Investor Relations and Business Intelligence. You will be encouraged to experiment, build and think holistically in order to create game-changing solutions.
The Data Manager will work closely with the Technology team as well as our business unit end users, and vendors to develop database solutions to support a key goal of using data intelligence to drive insights and near real-time analytics for the Firm.
- Collaborate with IT teams and management to devise a data strategy that addresses business requirements
- Gain understanding of current data management technologies, review plan and provide input and feedback throughout the process of deployment
- Determine database structural requirements by analyzing business operations and applications
- Develop database solutions for both operational and analytical systems
- Create logical and physical data models to support IT applications to implement physical database structures based on those models.
- Develop and implement data governance program and maintain the Master Data Management effort for the organization, and be responsible for implementation of data standards
- Develop strategies for data acquisition and data archiving
- Ensure documentation is complete and up to date
- Development and Production Support, deploy code into production, provide issue resolution
- Other duties as assigned
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools
The individual in this position should have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems (or equivalent work experience).
- Prior experience with data warehouse/data lake design and implementation
- Understanding of commonly used BI concepts (data warehousing, data marts, cubes, and self-service reporting)
- Experience (8-10 years) with Multi-Dimensional and Star Schema Database design, SQL Server, other relational databases, SQL, multi-tier architecture and deployment, Postgres, OLAP and IaaS, PaaS and SaaS architectures. MS SQL Server experience preferred
- Experience (8-10 years) with relational and multi-dimensional data modeling
- Experience with data governance and Master Data Management
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, showing a high degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Experience with PowerBI and SQL query optimization
- Hands on experience in developing, implementing, and maintaining complex data models for operational and analytical applications, both logical and physical data models
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize business tasks
- Extensive experience developing and supporting applications in a Microsoft environment.
- Experience with any of the following systems desirable but not required: Pitchbook, Preqin, Chronograph, Hubspot, Meltwater, Diligence Vault, Loopio
- Results oriented, proactive, quality-driven, customer-centric and strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strong collaborative, relationship management skills with the ability to communicate and influence stakeholders at all levels
- Proven ability to prioritize, problem-solve with a structured approach, and manage multiple projects of varying complexity
- Ability to learn quickly and handle ambiguity
Greenspring Associates salaries and benefits are among the best in the business. They include:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental & Vision, FSA, EAP, STD/LTD & Life Insurance)
- 401K with 100% company match
- Personal Time off – 20 PTO Days per year
- Student Loan Debt Repayment Program
- Casual dress code
- Free Parking
- Gym membership and cell phone reimbursement
Greenspring Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Don’t see a job that is right for you? Please e-mail Robyn Schuerholz and tell us why you would be a great addition to our team.